All About Fixed Weeks (RIV/CCV/AUL/VGF/POLY Charts)

We're planning to buy our first contract direct for 150-200pts at Riviera (still mathing the math out lol). I don't know that we'd rely on using the FW much, but it seems like something nice to add in if we ever have to come to resale down the line (not sure how much impact it would have, though it can't really hurt, right?).

Would a Standard view Studio be seen as a more desirable booking than Preferred view?

We're planning to buy our first contract direct for 150-200pts at Riviera (still mathing the math out lol). I don't know that we'd rely on using the FW much, but it seems like something nice to add in if we ever have to come to resale down the line (not sure how much impact it would have, though it can't really hurt, right?).

Would a Standard view Studio be seen as a more desirable booking than Preferred view?
Standard studio is far more desirable than preferred view and yep it doesn’t hurt to add it on.

I’m admittedly a runDisney noob even though I’ve run one of their halfs before and am currently signed up for another but when was the last time they changed the runDisney weeks? I know they tend to have the same runs generally around the same time each year but have they ever shifted them more than a week or two off from their typical dates?

I bought our FW just because why not to be honest, there isn’t a scenario where it’s truly a bad thing to have a fixed week. At the very worst it’s a minor inconvenience. Like I said on here before I’m probably the worst because if I really wanted something for an event thats not negotiable like a wedding or family reunion or something I wouldn’t have a problem walking a reservation for a year if I really needed to. It’s really just in case we were to sell it due to unforeseen life circumstances to give it a slight benefit. It does make me interested how Disney does the fixed weeks that were assigned race weeks. Are all runDisney events announced 11+ months out then?
I'm right there w/ you - have yet to do a runDisney race despite being an avid runner and lover of Disney...makes no sense! So not sure about whether or not the weeks have changed over the years - curious to know this myself.

But at least with Week 7 and Week 44 - even if the Princess/Wine & Dine shift, you'd still have President’s Day and Halloween most years (PS I know you're not actively looking for FW @ Riv - just sharing for those who are :) )

If all 35% of Riviera's fixed weeks are sold, that means (from a total of 6,700,000 points), there are ~2,345,000 points in the fixed week bucket. A 10% premium on those weeks means that DVD cashes in ~234,500 extra points just on fixed weeks. But...where do those extra points come from if the point charts are balanced? That's an extra 3.5% of points coming from...thin air? Just curious... And to see if anyone might know the answer.

It would be a bonus at a restricted resort. Getting a FW still allows you to be flexible with the option of using the FW. Then if you need to sell, you should be able to get a little bit more for having the FW. I would try to get a desirable week if you are looking at a FW, whether or not you will be using it as a FW. I would pay a bit more if it is a week I wanted and I wouldn't be able to stay anywhere else.

It would be a bonus at a restricted resort. Getting a FW still allows you to be flexible with the option of using the FW. Then if you need to sell, you should be able to get a little bit more for having the FW. I would try to get a desirable week if you are looking at a FW, whether or not you will be using it as a FW. I would pay a bit more if it is a week I wanted and I wouldn't be able to stay anywhere else.
The options we are considering for RIV are week 50 mid-Dec, week 1 to hopefully overlap Marathon weekend, or week 4 (to coincide with Festival of the Arts). Any odds as to which would be seen as more favorable to buyers? We could honestly visit anytime (Dec is hubbie's birthday, I do a lot of RunDisney events, and we love FArts) and don't plan to rely on it for making our booking anyway - nor do we plan to sell, but just in case, to hedge bets and all.

On a 150 pt contract it wouldn't cover Thanksgiving or Xmas/NY weeks so we couldn't pick the most most popular wks. We are leaning toward buying 200 pts split 150/50.

The options we are considering for RIV are week 50 mid-Dec, week 1 to hopefully overlap Marathon weekend, or week 4 (to coincide with Festival of the Arts). Any odds as to which would be seen as more favorable to buyers? We could honestly visit anytime (Dec is hubbie's birthday, I do a lot of RunDisney events, and we love FArts) and don't plan to rely on it for making our booking anyway - nor do we plan to sell, but just in case, to hedge bets and all.

On a 150 pt contract it wouldn't cover Thanksgiving or Xmas/NY weeks so we couldn't pick the most most popular wks. We are leaning toward buying 200 pts split 150/50.
My vote would be for Week 50 or Week 1.

Yup, week 50 or 1. We are looking at a FW for week 49 or 50 in the PVB tower. It's too bad they no longer offer RunDisney FWs, that would've been perfect for you.

If all 35% of Riviera's fixed weeks are sold, that means (from a total of 6,700,000 points), there are ~2,345,000 points in the fixed week bucket. A 10% premium on those weeks means that DVD cashes in ~234,500 extra points just on fixed weeks. But...where do those extra points come from if the point charts are balanced? That's an extra 3.5% of points coming from...thin air? Just curious... And to see if anyone might know the answer.

The points are part of the total point that can be sold…so, it’s not extra for the resort.

But, when a FW is used, the actual points are then used to cover the week, and those extra points are just there….which in turns creates more availability for booking with the other points…those extras would end up like any other unused points…

Basically, they become actual unused points and DVC has the right to take those to book via the breakage model.

Once the FW is booked by MS, and you aren't able to travel for the entire Sun-Sun FW, can you modify the FW to only stay a few nights ( and have remainder of the FW points revert to your UY) ?
No. You must cancel the whole week if you want to revert back to points. It’s all or none.

Help again :) I've been reading through the thread but am still a little confused about how the UY factors in with the 12 month FW booking window.

In this example, we are looking at purchasing FW 49 or 50 with a December UY. We plan to do MB, so our first points would be available Dec 2024. I assume our FW would be booked for Dec 2025 using the 2024 points, but does that process automatically bank them forward, meaning if we canceled the FW we wouldn't be able to use them in the Dec 24-Nov 25 period? Or do they just return to the regular UY as long as canceled before a certain date?

Help again :) I've been reading through the thread but am still a little confused about how the UY factors in with the 12 month FW booking window.

In this example, we are looking at purchasing FW 49 or 50 with a December UY. We plan to do MB, so our first points would be available Dec 2024. I assume our FW would be booked for Dec 2025 using the 2024 points, but does that process automatically bank them forward, meaning if we canceled the FW we wouldn't be able to use them in the Dec 24-Nov 25 period? Or do they just return to the regular UY as long as canceled before a certain date?
Your FW will always be booked with the full contract's current year points. It will never use banked or borrowed or transferred points, and it will never automatically bank points for you.

You usually won't get the FW reservation the first year when you buy less than 11 months away from your FW. So if you're about to buy a FW 49 or 50 with a December UY and it is currently June 2024, you'll get 2023 points & 2024 points. Make reservations with them the normal way. If you call DVC Member Services right after signing, you can ask them to bank your 2023 points into 2024, even if it is past your banking deadline. Then around December 2024, they'll make your FW reservation for Dec 2025 using 2025 points.

Favorite Weeks only use the current UY allotment of points. You cannot apply banked or borrowed points to a Favorite Week. MS will not auto bank unused points for you. You must bank them yourself online or by calling MS.

If you purchase Favorite Week 49 or 50 with a Dec UY and take Magical Beginnings you would start with 2024 UY points. Since you're past the 12 month booking period for a Dec 2024 stay, those 2024 UY points would just sit in your account. MS will not book your Favorite Week for the 2024 UY. You could use them in the 2024 UY, bank them to the 2025 UY, or borrow them into the 2023 UY. If you bank them, they cannot be applied to the Favorite Week in 2025.

Member Services will book your Favorite Week 49 or 50 in Nov 2024/Dec 2024 using your 2025 UY allotment of points for Dec 2025.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter